Tuesday, August 29, 2006

5 more words, 2 more songs, and a hymn of thanks

Let's do this....

1. tired
2. unsettled
3. restless
4. thoughtful (but process murky!)
5. lonely

Two more slow grooves to curdle your soul and your tonsils:

The Thrill is Gone - B.B. King
Ball and Chain - Big Mama Thornton

Popped into see Ned on the way home from Greenbelt, Cheltenham, last night. Hadn't seen him for 10 days. His mom called him from the 3rd floor bedroom. He came pounding down the stairs, ran down the hall and threw himself at me.

Reminds me of a question Claudia asked me Saturday night - what was the most important lesson I had learnt as a dad the last five years. I admit it took me a few minutes to answer and rather tentatively I offerred the power of love - particularly that I find in, and for, and from my son.

And,
as I dwell on that now,
unconditional love.
Charges at you after a time of separation.
Kisses your forehead as you awake to a new day.
Buys you a present on holiday.
Insists on spending entire pocket money, on Father's Day,
to buy England memorabilia for the World Cup.
That wants to just sit,
play a game,
or read a book,
simply to be together.

6. Dan - you lucky, lucky bastard

No comments: