Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Man in the Mirror

Are you aware of the child in you? I have had some feedback concerning the little boy that appears in me sometimes.

Someone recently left a group that I belong to. Someone I had grown to care for. I was upset for them, for me. I wondered whether the little boy was crying out not to be left?

On the day they left I felt like I understood that the little boy might be present and that he might be feeling upset - this was very reassuring.

I have realised that I have high expectations of other men - perhaps because of my father not meeting my needs as a child, and perhaps the disappointment that remains with our relationship, or lack of it.

As the realisation came I was aware of a mirror held up before me. I could see how my inability to step up to the mark as a man, a husband and as a father in my marriage had contributed to the failure of the relationship.


That was a long time ago now. I am learning to understand myself and others and to communicate my thoughts and feelings clearly.

Perhaps I will be able to notice and listen to the little boy next time he shows up and find out what it is he needs?

Perhaps I will be less quick to judge men and impose my expectations upon them?

No comments: