Thursday, September 21, 2006

I love my job! :o)

I have spent over a year working on a housing scheme for homeless people in West London. Not that I undertake any of the construction work myself, but I project manage the thing from concept to opening.

The scheme provides 10 additional self-contained studio flats in an annexe / extension to the existing building, and these are intended for young homeless people who are more independent than those living in the Phase I bedsits. The new wing gives the guys potential to move from Phase I into Phase II.

Additionally there is a residents lounge, IT suite, laundry, interview room, with the relocation of the office (with a small kitchen area) and staff to a new secure reception. Two flats and the communal areas will be designed to support clients with sensory impairment.

Last Monday we should have received the keys from the Building Contractor (following delays in June and August) and I had a timetable to prepare the flats and common areas for residence. This would include placing in the rooms: beds and bedding, all the furniture, curtains / blinds, office equipment, kitting out the kitchens with everything normally found in a kitchen, and so on. It's like moving flat 10 times in 6 days!

However, my week has 'gone pear-shaped' for a variety of reasons, but overall because not a single contractor has meet the agreed deadlines so far. Grrrrrrrr....

I have tried to manage my frustration, irritation and incredulity at the incompetence of some organisations to deliver on their commitments. I have had extremes of peace and calm, when I managed very well I think, and private despair!

Now looking at a final date of Friday next week.... maybe... if everyone does what they should. I love my job! :o)

No comments: