Tuesday, April 11, 2006

By his stripes

Well - what a gap since I lost blogged - 12 days - sorry blog fans.

Things have been just as hectic despite the fact that my course has finished, Dads + Lads too, and the talk I was going to give at a church is done and dusted. That went well - even had a round of applause - most embarrassing!!

Anyway it is a relief not to have those 3 locos coming down the tracks at me!

It was my birthday last Thursday - I was 30/11 :o)
Was out to dinner with Ned - had a rack of ribs - fab!

Ned (with some prompting from me) got his mum to fund a birthday present (for once), so I was expecting a picture frame or candle!

To my surprise the wrapped parcel was the C4 box set of the Ashes series last year. Yeeeee haaaaaa.

Ned was with mum at the weekend so I spent an a.m. delighting in:
  • Simon Jones's reverse swing
  • Freddie - the Aussie nightmare (what a player)
  • Trescothick's class
  • Vaughan's captaincy
  • Pietersen's power with the bat (slippery fingers though)
  • the Straus diving flying slip catch - unbelievable
  • and the sheer joy of seeing sport played in such a good spirit (all bar Ponting's run out - keep running Ricky !!!).

Given I have been running Dads + Lads the last six Saturday mornings I figured I was owed a chill?

Saturday night I was out clubbing with friends - it was a good evening ... mostly ... a cool band playing live, called 'Bosh' or something like that.

Saw a girl in there - thought "Wow she's lovely". Had a fab smile.

However, I was too shy to go and say hello. Chicken. :o(

Kinda still thinking about her. I was disappointed with myself, but guess I was afraid (as ever) of rejection - for not being handsome nor witty enough, not smart enough, too old (!), too clumsy... inarticulate, lacking confidence.....

On the other hand, it was partly that everyone was dancing and she had a girl friend stuck to her like glue, so the opportunity was hard to spot - was also near the end of the evening but even then I would have had to shout at her to be heard !!! Tried to work out an opportunity but never happened and I couldn't quite see how to ... bugger.

'Ads' chatted to her for her a while (ignorant of my interest) but later remembered nothing about her except her leather strides - DOH!

Sunday night spent with T & T - roast chicken (hmmmm) and some gorgeous NZ wine. Boy, did we laugh at ... pretty much everything under the sun. The ground we covered in a 3 hours - phew!

Looking forward to Easter - special time. Got a couple of days off - Ned not away this holiday for once - so nice mix of work, rest and play.

Gonna watch the Passion of the Christ again with friends on Friday night - blows my mind. I hadn't really understood "by his stripes we are healed" until I watched the flogging scene. Harrowing is an understatement.

Praying for healing for myself - of the fear, doubt etc. described above.

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see

Like Neo (meaning new) I am "starting to believe" despite the evidence of Saturday night.

That one event does not define who I am.

I am more than that 'failure' and growing such that I do feel more confident in myself. Setbacks are ok, ne? We learn. We move forward. We stretch and, in doing, so we are stretched.

Some victories are greater even than the Ashes.

Some resurrections more amazing even than the England team.

No comments: