Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Men stumble...

... and may fall... though it's not how you go down... but how you come up that counts.

The thought above was triggerred by the quote below, sent to me by a man who used to be one of my youth leaders - I love and admire him greatly, more than I've ever told him probably. He is a husband, a dad, a friend and a leadership coach.

When I see him and his wondeful wife we soon hit level 5 stuff - or at least I do - they've always been very gracious to me and listened and listened and listened. I wish I saw them more but that's the way of things sometimes isn't it? This is part of a document in which Alistair reflects on what it is to be a great leader, something I am thinking about as I consider whether to apply for a position that's come up at work, though I often feel inadequate to do this job justice as it:

“It is not the critic that counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood: who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deeds, know the greatest enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Of course when we fall there may be consequences and these will vary in impact, duration and severity - there are single moms I know would testify to that.

Christians might argue that 'THE fall' is the most prominent example of that.

May I say in the gentlest way that I am not keen to use examples of other people in the way you have with Carl, Tom. I don't think it's for us to judge or analyse or assess what he may have learnt from it. Unless he chooses to tell us, as Roosevelt has here and I am trying to. The Carl that is now...who knows? But I do know I am neither worse nor better than he is - except he got found out. For goodness sake don't plug my mind into a TV screen....