Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"Wipe that smile off your face"

Do you know Billy Connelly's routine (I think it's the Billy and Albert show) where he jokes about similar sayings. Here's one I hear often - "what are you looking at me like that for?" It is one of those conundrums that is impossible to answer. Would you have any idea of the expression you were displaying at the moment this question was asked?!

On Friday I found myself in trouble. Accused of demeaning others (and myself) over emails I had written, quote: "hectoring .. a colleague with three e-mails within a couple of minutes on the same subject" and chastised for the perception in one exchange of the "petulant tone it strikes" and (allegedly) considering myself "more important than their work load or feelings"

I had originally thought of ignoring a suggestion that "if you have any other request can you please list on one email". I'll just say "No", was the second option, but decided that my colleague deserved the courtesy of an explanation, and I illustrated how at three Blue Chips where I have worked this was best practice. So, I laid out my reasons, and preference, for separate emails on individual issues (they weren't all the same subject):

  • I would end up with 100's of emails all called "such and such project"
  • It is therefore very difficult to monitor progress
  • Finding items now, and especially later, is very time consuming
  • Thus filing is tricky (electronic folders mainly)
  • Where others are involved (professional consultants / contractors etc) we may inadvertently send information to them that is inappropriate or indeed confidential

Now, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with my methods, I felt devastated that anyone had received bad vibes in an email from me, because that was the last thing intended. I was upset all day.

I have reflected on this for a few days before blogging and I still cannot get around the fact that the 'voice' that speaks in the mind of an email recipient can use any tone, inflection or emphasis and never come anywhere close to the sentiments of the writer.

I feel I am on a hiding to nothing if assumptions are made of me and something I write in an email that just do not exist. Thoughts - can someboby help me out?

[Note for music anoraks - "Someboby help me out" Beggar and Co, circa 1980]

2 comments:

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan said...

Thanks for the question Tom. I haven't commented on the comments because I don't see this necessarily as a chat room but am happy to try to pick up on specific points, but then I hope others will too - I am not claiming to be the fount of all knowledge! It IS helpful to get things off of my chest, but primarily I hope to trigger or stimulate thought, maybe debate? Some of the stuff I am dealing will be generic to all of us and I would like to think therefore that this format provides some e-support! That's why it's useful to be able to comment anonymously. Does that help? Discuss !!!